On California: From Napa to Nebbiolo... Wine Tales from the Golden State
"A standout among the drink books published this year, which ought to be on the Christmas list of every wine lover, even if they don't think they have much interest in American wine." —Victoria Moore, The Telegraph
"This is a book for novices and geeks interested in the significance of California through America’s wine history, from the swashbuckling era of Agoston Haraszthy through modern Napa’s cult cabernets and today’s despair over wildfires and drought." —David McIntyre, Washington Post
"New York Times picks On California for their "This Year’s Best Wine Books": ". Its short selections from nearly three dozen writers offer impressionistic, thought-provoking views of the state and its winemaking history."—New York Times
On California explores the grapes and the people who have made California wine great. The pioneers, the boffins, the whizz-kids and scientists, many of whom tell their stories on its pages – some in precious archive material, others have set down their thoughts mid-pandemic in 2021: Randall Grahm, Gerald Asher, Steven Spurrier, Paul Draper and Warren Winiarski take a bow….
- California wine and the future: where will the ‘California spirit’ lead next?
- The ‘Hollywood Grape’: our authors chart the path of Cabernet Sauvignon, from the wish-list of Thomas Jefferson to the hallowed hillsides of Stag’s Leap and Screaming Eagle
- 1976? Of course it was a competition! Steven Spurrier and Patricia Gallagher look back at the motivations behind the famous Paris wine tasting
- Top New York sommelier Victoria James tells of her near-death introduction to the whacky world of winemaking in Sonoma
- Will the real Zinfandel please stand up? Paul Draper seeks out the true heritage of California’s versatile orphan grape
- Contributions from top California writers: Elaine Chukan Brown, Mary Margaret McCamic MW, Karen MacNeil, Esther Mobley, Lisa Perrotti-Brown MW, Liz Thach MW, Clare Tooley MW, and Kelli White
- Hugh Johnson, Jane Anson and Fiona Morrison MW introduce California’s intrepid wine pioneers
- Rex Pickett’s Sideways heroes, Jack and Miles, clink glasses over the Central Coast’s finest Pinot Noir
- A–Z: from ‘Bob’ Mondavi to Xylem sap-sensors and pink Zinfandel – California wine in bite-size
Earn By Promoting Books
Earn money by sharing your favourite books through our Affiliate programme.Become an Affiliate