The aim of the English Association is to further the knowledge, understanding, and enjoyment of English.
We are a registered charity (no. 1124890) incorporated by Royal Charter. We support the teaching, learning, and enjoyment of English at all levels of education, from early years to further and higher education and beyond. We welcome anyone with a love of language, literature, linguistics and creative writing into our active community of members.
- We work for positive change on behalf of our members by responding to national consultations. As a member, your voice will be heard in important discussions about research, teaching, and learning.
- Led by our Education Committees, our research explores the state of our discipline, and allows us to work with government and policy-makers on behalf of our members and the discipline as a whole.
- We foster discussions of methods of teaching and learning English at all academic levels. Our renowned publications are read in schools, libraries, and universities all over the world, making sure that all our members can share research, best practice, and cutting-edge pedagogies.
- Our prizes and awards recognise the best early-career scholarship in the field, offer opportunities to younger scholars to develop their thinking, and celebrate the best children’s picture books as chosen by practising teachers and education experts.
- We deliver practical, affordable, and accessible support to teachers of English at Early Years, Primary, and Secondary levels through CPD events and a curated collection of online resources.
- We celebrate English’s role as an essential element in education and the community at large.